25 posts, 9 voices. Latest reply from jackbruton1998.
  1. jackbruton1998 says:

why do we have to pay for the reemus game cant clickshake make a free version because i cant pay money but i love reemus also how do you get beta testing is it by email???

2. darkbluemullet says:

Having to pay for a game that has always been free online is going to get peoples backs up and there is no getting away from that. However, this (judging by the trailer and the blogs) is not your ordinary Reemus game. It will be on a much larger scale and now features voice acting.

Personally I would normally grudge paying but because of the quality of the previous games, I think that this would be money well spent.

These guys need earn a living too, just like anyone else.

Also, another free Reemus game is coming at the same time, so no one is being missed out.

Just my opinion, might be wrong, might be right! ;)

3. SteveCastro says:

Jack, we want to take Reemus to a whole new level, with much more vibrant environments, more content-packed quests, a beefier adventure overall and as dark mentioned voice acted dialogue. We need support in order to pull this off.

Alongside the pay to play Ballads of Reemus game, we're still making Several Journeys Chapter 4 as a free game because we know fans of the series have come to love playing the free series. You're still getting a great game even if you can't pay. We have no plans to ever charge for the Several Journeys series. In fact, we even have plans to go back and add things to the series for free!

Ballads of Reemus is a new series and a new story line, but it's going to be super epic compared to any of the Several Journeys games. Jack, if you're young, lots of teens get an allowance by doing chores around the house or can mow a neighbor's lawn or two to earn $10. Then all you would need is a ride to a post office, where you can purchase a money order and mail it out. I'm talking to Ethan about this option right now, so if you're interested, please contact us at the contact link at the bottom of the page.

4. jackbruton1998 says:

thanks for the responce r u in america cause im in britain and would take long time to send a money order slip danks;-)

5. Earl says:

Well, I for one am glad that they're transitioning to full, paid, games.
    I even vaguely recall requesting something to that effect.

The Reemus and Favour (Favor?) games bring back everything I loved about the old point-and-click games. The Day of the Tentacle (I know, I started with Maniac Mansion, but DOTT was mroe fun), the Space Quest games (when we getting a Quest for Glory style game? :D ), all the games I used to absolutely love playing. The sorts of games that died for about a decade.

The only thing missing is scale. I want a Reemus game that'll take me more than an hour to beat. And for something like that, you gotta pay. You can't expect someone to create something epic for free.

Ten bucks isn't that much when you think about it (btw, anyone know if it's 10 american, or 10 canadian?).

6. ZEROwes says:

i pre-ordered mine through paypal, and it came out to be $15 American dollars for the online and download version of Ballads (i have a mac, but can run windows on my mac, so i thought i might as well get both versions)

7. Darkroot says:

@Earl Canadian and American are practically equal so it should be the same. Also for most of us the issues is the $10 it's the fact we don't have paypal or credit cards.

Thought I don't really understand why you don't price the games the same. The online version and download version are basically the same. It's not like your gonna make major updates that will justify charging 5$ more for the pain of rolling them out on the downloadable version. But yeah only thing preventing me from buying it is the credit card issue and the fact I want the game on my hardrive then somewhere in cyberspace and not being charged extra for that. Same reason why I don't buy steam games.

8. SteveCastro says:

Hey Darkroot. The game's full price is $15. We offered the reduced price option of $10 if you want to play the game online instead of downloading it. Not only does this option make it easier to roll out updates to the game, it also makes it easier for us to save your progress in a database. Plus it encourages people to participate in the ClickShake community and helps us prevent piracy, and we figured those things were worth $5 off.

For the record, we actually ARE planning to update the game(s) in the future. We want to integrate our games into each other in a way that portals aren't doing, to give you more of an integrated experience when you play on our site. For example, there might be a swamp in Ballads of Reemus. Let's say you get a special snorkel in Several Journeys Chapter 5 when that comes out. So in Ballads we roll out a free content update at the same time so if you have the snorkel you can go in the swamp now and experience the game in a new way. We want to add in fun little unlocks like that, possibly even outside the Reemus series. Some inter-game quest chains will be completely free too.

This is just an example of the type of thing we're planning. Since you might want to resume your progress in an older Reemus when new content updates come out like this, it's best if your progress is stored in a database instead of offline on your computer which can have hard drive failure or whatever. So for progress saving and content updates, it's quicker and easier for both members and us to stop by the site and instantly experience the latest content.

Also, for anyone without a credit card or bank account, we have a sweet option for you to score a FREE copy of Ballads called Refer a Friend. I'm going to start a new thread about it so hop on over if you're interested or have any questions about it.

9. JayZiebarth says:

Steve and I really want to create a living breathing universe you can get lost in. Having one game inter-connect to another in new and exciting ways. So even if you beat one game, its not necessarily finished forever.

So without giving too much away yet, I think you should know your not just buying a game but a passport into the ClickShake universe.

10. Darkroot says:

That reason should of been posted on the page thought. It does a lot better job at convincing me that the online is better. Even if I still harbor as small resentment to stuff I don't have in my grasp.

11. ozi says:

i miss the old days of playing bold quest series games like police quest and space quest - or even larry series. i miss all the humor and intelligent with innovative puzzle quest based riddles.

excellent move for online version! i was hoping for that at the time of surveying! i pre-ordered it the same moment i saw the chance in my mailbox.

can not wait!

oh, and 10$ for support and r&d? anytime guys!!!

12. Earl says:

Personally, I'm looking forward to the online-option for Ballads. These days, I mostly use either Linux or lab computers at school, so this'll be far more convenient for me.

13. ozi says:

@earl, very true!

i am also using a multi-platform computers! besides, I love the idea of simply loging-in and play, considering it is a single player adventure game and not yet another mmorpg...

14. Darkroot says:

@earl

You could always compile it using wine.

15. Earl says:

I... don't think you mean 'compile'. Wine doesn't compile. It provides windows APIs and libraries so programs can "think" they're being run on windows. But, that aside, wine's still not terribly reliable. For some things it works flawlessly, but for others, it's crap. I greatly prefer being able to play on any computer that has flash; from computers at school, to my linux netbook, to my girlfriend's mac. It's just less hassle. :)

16. Darkroot says:

I think I do thought but it's a matter of preference what you want to call it.

developers can compile Windows applications to help port them to Unix-like systems.

Yeah I agree I mostly end up disapointed by wine. But since flash isn't updated in my university I don't really care much about being able to play it on any computer since I will mostly end up playing it on my desktop. I don't even touch my laptop anymore.

17. Earl says:

If you're compiling it for Unix/Linux, then you really don't need to bother with wine most of the time.
    But, um, it also requires having access to the source files. I have to assume Jay isn't going to send me all the code and such so I can compile it myself. (Wine is typically used for running windows code semi-natively)

As for playing games at your school, you may wish to consider Portable Firefox (or Portable Opera, etc). You can run it entirely from your flashdrive, including the flash plugin. I keep my netbook with me now, but it's what I used to do a few years back at school.

18. SteveCastro says:

Darkroot, are you ending your tags like this? </em>

19. Darkroot says:

I might but really I feels weird playing games when everyone around me is studying super hard.

Yeah I'm epically failing to do proper html markup so i'll stop.

20. tman140 says:

sheesh this is old

21. tman140 says:

sheesh this is old

22. tman140 says:

sheesh this is old

23. jackbruton1998 says:

i know wasnt it the first forum on here created by mee ????? come on peoples lets get this thread livened up a bit again

i need your ideas on how to get the ballads refer a friend program to work i want this soooooooooo bad and i srysly cant pay my parents say "you are not paying for an online or downloadable game no matter how much u beg!!" so i cant pay and so far no luck with referal link maybe we should advertise more friend links and other stuff in fact ill open a new thread for site and add improvement still use this tho pls i know its old but you must respect your elderss !!! :-D happy typing

24. tman140 says:

pre-order ended

25. jackbruton1998 says:

i just payed for it yaaaaaaaay

You must log in to post.