ClickShake Elite / Starting out in flash games?
50 posts, 12 voices. Latest reply from Palo.
  1. darkbluemullet says:

Ok, so I was wondering Jay and Steve, is it all possible to teach yourself (to a high standard) to make flash games?

I have done a lot of research and obviously a course would be best but I work full time so that is a non starter. Do you think I could realistically even begin to llearn just using resources on the net? If so, could you suggest some places to look? Thanks.

Finally, how did you guys start out?

2. JayZiebarth says:

Yes, in fact that's how I started out. At the time I downloaded a bunch of free tutorials from webmonkey.com (I'm not sure if it even exists anymore?)

I taught myself how to tween and make symbols and basic basic "gotoandplay" style action scripting. I never took any courses on flash or programming, everything I've learned is through talking to friends, online tutorials and just playing around.

"The Visitor" was actually my first attempt at programming a game by myself. It's a mess of super basic action scripting.

So to answer your question, yes, absolutely you can teach yourself. There's actually a "dummies" book on flash programming for games. So you can get that and play around making simple games.

Off the top of my head, http://www.flashkit.com has a bunch of tutorials but I'm sure theres tons of sites out there.

Just start small. It's better to do something simple and finish it than attempt an epic blockbuster that never sees the light of day.

3. darkbluemullet says:

That's great. That has really gave me encouragement. I am about to download some stuff now and see how I get on. If I can make the a very , very basic game work, I will try some more complex things. Think I am going to be busy for a few months.....

Thanks for the advice!

4. SteveCastro says:

I also learned Flash by myself, though after that I did take programming in college while I continued to sharpen my Flash skills. I used Flashkit as well but also back when Flash was owned by Macromedia, it used to come with these awesome game tutorials packaged right in. I'm not sure if Adobe does that anymore but those were great. I'm sure the same kinds of tutorials can still be found online somewhere. One was a space shooter, which shows that essentially almost all 2D games are just manipulating x/y coordinates, and background logic to decide when and where to change those coordinates. Obviously that background logic can get very complex, but this concept can help you know where to start.

5. JayZiebarth says:

I'm excited for you Darkbluemullet! Getting your first game made, no matter how small, is a great feeling!

6. Earl says:

Actually, even I can chime in on that sentiment. I don't know how to use Flash (no way can I afford that kind of software just for tinkering with), but I've made a few games for school or for my own amusement.
    And it's such a euphoric feeling when you're done, and you try playing it. And when you start really having fun and forget for a while that you made it. And it doesn't matter how small it is. I've made things as simple as a little Scorched Earth clone for my cellphone, and there's nothing quite like a game you made yourself.

(The other neat thing: Since you made it, you can include the kind of gameplay you like most!)

7. darkbluemullet says:

This is all great stuff, thanks.

There are a lot of resources I have found in one quick search and on Kongregate and newgrounds, there are some great visual tutorials that will be very handy as they show the result as it is explained.

That dummies book looks good for me at least so I will get that.

Also, @Earl, You get Adobe free for 30 days and there are "ways" of getting it.... not that I condone that sort of thing ;P

8. xXincognitoXx says:

This isn't about games, but it is about animated movies (shorts NOT full length stuff)

For school I make movies and have so far won a few small scale awards. I want to up it though. Is there any CHEAP software that I could get to make even just a 5 sec animation.

If you have any advice, feel free to post :)

9. JayZiebarth says:

I don't really know of anything cheap, but Flash is definitely great for doing animation. A lot of TV shows actually use it, including the one I did here in Canada.

I guess if the keyword is CHEAP, I'm not really sure.

I'd say look around for a cheap version of flash, maybe an old version of it.

The other software is "Toonboom". I haven't used that one, but I know its used a lot for feature films. Once again, it's not cheap at all.

So I guess my response is pretty much useless, ha.

10. xXincognitoXx says:

Trust me, you did help.

Even though it is probobly too expensive for me, how would you go about purchasing Flash or Toonboom. I tried googling it but got nothing about how much it is or how to get it.

Just 2 be sure we understand one another. I am talking about making animated cartoons like for example if you were to make a reemus movie or a short little cartoon animation.

11. Earl says:

You made a tv show in Canada? What's it about?

(sorry. couldn't resist. easily amused)

12. JayZiebarth says:

You can buy Flash through the Adobe website (http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/?promoid=BPDEE). The new Flash CS5 is about to launch, so it looks like that is the only available one to purchase and its $700. I did a quick ebay search for "adobe flash" and you can get cs3 (which I use) for around $200 or so dollars.

Yes, Flash is great for animated movies. I worked in the animation industry for a bit (cough SONS OF BUTCHER cough) and they used flash to animate all the TV shows. It's super versatile. It can be used for making games, web pages or just animated movies.

ToonBoom will run you around $1500 it looks like, though I think they have less powerful versions available too. Toonboom is actually specifically for animated movies and it has some amazing features, though I've never used it so I can't speak to how user friendly or easy it is to learn. But the stuff I've seen it do is pretty impressive. I believe they animated the entire Simpsons movie using Toonboom too.

You can get it via http://www.toonboom.com

13. darkbluemullet says:

Ok, lets just get it out there........ torrents.

14. erix111 says:

darkblumullet u said it ;DDDD torrents BEST SOLUTION

15. BucketHatBobby says:

Jay not only animated, but STARRED IN a television show. It was animated, but the 3 main characters' heads were their real heads pasted onto cartoon bodies.
    "Sons Of Butcher" was about a rock band, and Jay played as Doug, the bassist. Their song "F*** The S***" was pretty big online.
    They are also a real band.

...Just putting that out there.

Also, more onto the main topic: I could never make a decent game out of Flash, but I used to tinker with animating in it. Loved it. If you were to find a way to get a copy, animating is fun with Flash.

I had a book called "The Flash 5 Bible", back when Macromedia's Flash 5 was still the newest version. It was great. If I had the time to really pay attention, I would have been able to make a decent game. It just takes dedication.

16. Darkroot says:

Ok, lets just get it out there........ torrents.

That's the exact reason why it's so expensive.

I have like 3ish books on actionscript 3 and I made a game similar to those ds games where the give you a goal of beating each game in a set amount of time. Thought I only had like 3 games so it kinda sucked. I can't draw to save my life and neither can I find any good tutorial on it. Thought I'm trying since I spent $200 on a wacom tablet to motivate myself.

17. xXincognitoXx says:

Thanks for the info!

It would be awesome to have this software, but it is more out of my price range than I thought :(
    Thanks though!

18. SteveCastro says:

incognito, did you hear about the Refer a Friend program?

19. Earl says:

BucketHat, I was just teasing him a little. :) I've had the pleasure of going to several of their live shows (the most recent of which was less than three weeks ago; not to mention the best. rock. show. ever.).

I've also played their music (and occasionally tv episodes) for my students before. :)

20. xXincognitoXx says:

Yeah I did and it is a great idea!

I want to get the game really badly, unfortunately I have the same probem as many others with purchasing it and am considering getting a Money Order.

The second you guys posted that Refer a Friend thing I imediately looked into it. The bad thing is though that when I tried to see if one of my friends would buy it, none were interested. None of my friends are as interested as me in the Reemus Games :(

21. SteveCastro says:

incognito, if you go on any forums you could write a bit about the game with your link and see if anyone there is interested. It doesn't have to be a personal friend of yours. As long as you're not spamming everywhere, it helps us get the word out about the game and hopefully will earn you a free copy.

22. xXincognitoXx says:

Good point.
    I am a member to a gaming site with forums. I'll try it out and HOPE it works.

23. Darkroot says:

Hey Steve would you recommend a good actionscript 3 book? I wanna get back into programming in flash since I've taken a Java course and understand how it works better. But I still don't have anything to learn from.

Also to people who can't buy flash because it's expensive you could try getting a discounted student version.

24. SteveCastro says:

Sorry, I'm not very familiar with any ActionScript books.

25. charmscale says:

You know, my boyfriend thought it was impossible to make a good game with flash. Then I showed him Reemus. ;)

26. JayZiebarth says:

Thanks!

27. Earl says:

I tried something similar with the Visitor. They got stuck on... I think it was the second screen. Maybe the first. They tried for about 7 minutes, and then gave up.

Whipper-snappers these days got no patience for nothin'. B|
    (Then I tried getting ashley to play Reemus. I think she got stuck on the Seasons screen. Like I said, whipper-snappers, patience, yada yada)

28. Tasselfoot says:

If you attend a college, you should be able to purchase Adobe products via a student discount. Don't know if you can do this if you're younger than college level. But it's something to look into, as Adobe does understand that the price of their products pushes many younger folk off.

29. Palo says:

hey, I'm starting making games too (just a kid who grew too big for MIT's Scratch) and I don't have too much of a budget either. I've been looking around and I downloaded Adobe Flex SDK and FlashDevelop, the opensource programs that seemed best. Do any of you know if this stuff can actually work to make games?

30. Darkroot says:

@Palo you can make games in programing languages like java, c++, python and they are all free. I think you can make games with Flash Develop but I haven't seen any because it's probably much harder. If you want to make flash games then go with flash if not then free languages.

Reply »

You must log in to post.