Games by ClickShake / Our first iOS game + what we've been up to
6 posts, 3 voices. Latest reply from darkbluemullet.
  1. SteveCastro says:

Jay and I have been working heavily for months now on our first iOS game with a client. We've been quiet lately because we're very busy with it and the work is quite intensive, with the game having tons of unique content. We're also quiet because we're under non-disclosure agreement, which is standard for big project that a client wants to market carefully. So we can't share details about the project itself but we can still talk about how our lives are going!

In the meantime, I thought I'd start this post to share just little tidbits about what's going on in our lives. Pardon the rambling, but at least it's better than silence, amiright?

This Black Friday I got some new office equipment on sale. I finally upgraded my CRT monitor to a 21 inch LED monitor that my mom bought me as an early Christmas present. It's nice to see more code in one screen to avoid as much scrolling. I also got a new $300 chair at about 2/3 of the price with adjustable arms, back, tilt, height, etc. with mesh back to replace my old executive style which had the high back and long arms which wasn't as well suited for programming hours on end. The new chair seems a whole lot better so far.

So I learned C++ in college but hadn't used it for years since. However, after jamming hard on it with our recent project, within a few weeks I feel like I went from novice to expert. A lot of languages are similar so that helps a lot, but C++ has some very unique stuff compared to Javascript, ActionScript, or PHP that took a bit of getting used to. Tracking down pointers can be "fun" on larger projects. I'm sure Earl has a few things to say about the subject.

2. darkbluemullet says:

Good stuff Steve. I hope it's all going smoothly and is ready for release soon. On a personal note (for anyone who cares :P) I have been at College since late August of this year and it was a bit terrifying at first tbh. Going back to further education in my late 20's was no mean feat but it was decision that had to be made or I would go from one worthless job to another for the rest of my days. So, it's year one and we are covering an awful lot of different ares but the 2 main focuses are C++ and SQL/Database design. C++ has had me tearing my hair out at points as I had no previous programming knowledge but I am getting there. Year 2 will be more full and we ONLY cover languages (C#, Java, PL/SQL and XML technologies) After that (assuming I pass!!) I go straight into 3rd year at University. It's amazing, interesting and terrifying, all at the same time but I can honestly say it's the best decision I have ever made!

I had an interview with an indie games/apps company that is based within the College, for an unpaid position but I didn't get it (I wasn't expecting it as there were 80 applicants for 4 places and coding knowledge was preferred) and this gave me a chance to wax lyrical about Ballads!!!! I was asked what games I play, what game I loved but what I would improve in it and any experience I had with games development, so Ballads covered all of that! I explained and showed what Ballads was all about, pointing out the features that made it great to me, such as the humour, artwork and characters. When asked what I would change, I told them I would expand the story even more, giving the more experienced gamer a longer experience but when I explained the ClickShake story and how Ballads was the first premium release from a team of 2 and they were mightily impressed.

I then explained how I was involved in the Quality Assurance, explaining my own process of testing and relating back to yourselves. I do realize it was a small part I played in Ballads, along with a number of others but one day I hope to look back at that and say "that's where it all began."

So, the journey continues and I am my only focus for now is nailing C++ and getting the first semester completed then I may take a look at using what I know and applying it to making my first game prototype. There are only so many car insurance programs, maths calculation programs and "Hello World" style programs I can stand before I go for it and dive into game development!

Best of luck to all!

3. connah14 says:

wow that sounds great DBM and Steve , all the best DBM with college and exams .

4. SteveCastro says:

DBM, great to hear you pursuing education in software dev. I'm honored to hear that you shared your experience with us at your interview. :) What's the company you applied for called?

5. SteveCastro says:

So we've taken on another feature set for the same iPhone game we've been working on since the summer. We'll be at it for another 2 months about.

6. darkbluemullet says:

Another 2 months.... So is every else on hold until that time? I'm really keen to get my hands on this game!! They are a brand new company and haven't released anything yet but here is there site -> http://www.lostzombies.co.uk/ If I'm honest, I am a little relieved that I didn't get it as I have final 1st year exams in February AND will have a 6 month placement at University so it will be non-stop!

You must log in to post.