Ideas & Suggestions / OhioGameDev.com - Promoting game dev in Ohio + a personal story from Steve
8 posts, 4 voices. Latest reply from tman140.
  1. SteveCastro says:

I recently started OhioGameDev.com, a site encouraging game developers to come, stay and grow in Ohio, and promoting those who are already making games here. I'll talk more about the site further down the post, but first a personal story...

I was born in Ohio and have lived here most of my life. In my senior year of high school I was offered a scholarship at DeVry University in Columbus, Ohio, and was also accepted to DigiPen, Nintendo's school of game development in Washington State. Would I stay in Ohio or dive completely into my gaming dreams, leaving my family and friends a fourth of a world away? It was an important decision that would shape the rest of my life.

Ultimately I chose to stay in Ohio and go to DeVry, and have lived in the Columbus area ever since. I studied general programming, but kept developing games on the side. After a stint working with business software, I returned to my dream of making games and began looking for a partner in order to go full-time, which eventually became ClickShake Games in January, 2010.

Ohio is a nice state, with much lower cost of living and lots of education opportunities, as well as a decent tax incentive for developing games here. You could move to another state and work for a company already making games, or you can stay local, take some risks to push games as an artform while making the games you want to make, and help the economy by starting up a new small business.

For these reasons I've setup OhioGameDev.com to put the spotlight on game dev activity in the Buckeye State and to grow this business in my state. Soon I plan to flesh out the site with a better design and more resources. I'm also working with some other devs locally to put on a game dev conference possibly in 2013, so keep an eye out for that on that site.

Please respond to this post or use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page to let me know if you have any comments or questions about this. Let me know if you or someone you know is doing something game dev related in Ohio that should be linked on the site.

2. connah14 says:

Thumbs up Steve !!

i really like this , i think its fabulous that you set up a site to encourage developers to grow and stay in Ohio , coming from the UK i like the idea and think people should do more of it , the entrepreneurship of people is a great thing to see :)

3. darkbluemullet says:

That's a great thing you are doing there Steve. My initial goal is to gain employment in the game Dev industry and my second goal is to emigrate from the U.K. to either Australia or U.S./Canada so our paths may just cross some hopefully! On a side note, have you guys ever considered using KickStarter??

4. SteveCastro says:

Thanks guys. Yes, we've been thinking a lot about Kickstarter and will most likely try to use it for our next major project.

5. SteveCastro says:

I've setup a Facebook page for the Ohio Game Developer Association at https://www.facebook.com/OhioGameDev

6. tman140 says:

I have been considering collages in Ohio, so when (and if) i move over there i would love to be a part of this!

7. SteveCastro says:

If you make it out to Columbus, send me a message. I'm willing to share some advice on local colleges.

8. tman140 says:

ok cool, im still in high school, and gonna do a "gap-year" bit i will if i do!

You must log in to post.