ClickShake Elite / Hello World!
11 posts, 4 voices. Latest reply from tman140.
Tags: No tags yet.
  1. tman140 says:

TLDR: Making a game, needs plot, no idea what to do with it afterwards.

Whats up everyone!
    Wow, i haven't been on here in forever... school and coding got in the way...
    speaking of coding, I'm in the process of developing, in java, a 2D RPG/questing (8-bit zelda style) game. Currently i haven't actually created any of the storyline bits, just been working on the engine.

Now, here is my problem... I know how to code, and i know how to sprite, but I am terrible at writing an actual plot. I'm open to any suggestions, and for any that I use, I will add you to the credits, and who knows, maybe even add you as a character.

Also, once I finish the game, I have no idea of what to do with it. I don't really care about making any money (though it would be nice) I just want to get exposure, and to be able to say, remember that game, I made it. I dont know where to put it, as newgrounds isn't an option. I'm considering kongregate, but that would mean that i could only have the game there and "my own personal website" that I don't have.

I would love to hear feedback from anyone,
    thanks,
    Tman140

2. spookspoon says:

Well it depends on what kind of playstyle and implimented abilities you wanton your RPG. All of my ideas are used by me, but perhaps you should dedicate more time into creating a storyline, it doesn't just pop into your head. Also, try to gain some type of inspiration or something, to generate a rough idea, (example, all my ideas came to me when listening to music) after that, just sculpt that rouph idea, and turn it into something clearer and more detailed.

If that's any useful, then good. If what you want is to just receive someone elses ideas, then I can't help you.

3. tman140 says:

Yeah, I know, and I have been working daily with friends (who are like my "code buddies") to storyboard over google docs. I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion that the would like to see/love games with. I'm not trying to copy off of anyone.

4. darkbluemullet says:

In terms of where to upload your game to on release, Steve and Jay will surely give you a few pointers. If it is really good, and I suggest selecting a few people to beta test it and give feedback to find out if it is, then you will want to get sponsorship for it. I'm no expert but if you upload your game to Kongregate then there is nothing to stop you uploading it elsewhere unless Kongregate pay you for the exclusivity.

In terms of a story, I would get reading a lot of books! Only going on what you have given so far, I would suggest reading someone along the lines of Dean koontz or similar. What is the setting? What year is it? What weapons and what types of characters are there? Human, orc, etc?

I would be happy to come up with some ideas for you to try out but I would need to know what type of look and feel you are going for.

Do you have any screens shots or even better a prototype maybe?

5. tman140 says:

Kongregate pays you like 40% of ad rev on the page if its only on that page.
    I want the game to be like set in the "olden-days" (ie. black ages) There are other races of life on earth, and I know for sure that you are a "farm-hand bent on having an adventure" type character. As of right now I can't provide screenshots, as it is currently just a basic engine. Graphics wise, it is like this (bit.ly/x3O0LS), but the HUD will be a little more spread across the screen.

As well, I would like to be able to also distribute via download, because I am putting in an "arena mode" where you can fight friends over LAN.

I have been reading lots of books based around that time already, but thanks for the suggestion, I will look into him.

6. darkbluemullet says:

Well.... you need to decide if the story is to be humorous, sad, dark, bright or a mix. I would begin with a basic back story and then approach the story like you would with code design. Say for example that your top level design is "the monsters have invaded my land and kidnapped my bride-to-be. I must save her!". Then refine that: "I need the training to be able to defeat the monsters". Then refine even more. "The master will train me but only if I complete some quests for him". And so on. It sounds like a big task considering it is your first game, especially the arena mode. What language are you writing this in?

7. JayZiebarth says:

I always start with the character. What does he want in life? What is the fear that is holding him back from getting what he wants?
    That should be what your story is about. Create a character with some motivation and the story will unfold before your eyes.

8. tman140 says:

I'm writing in java. Thanks for the advice Jay. The arena mode will just be players dukeing it out online. I was trying to approach the story like you would normally write one for an English essay, but, after i finish up some competition stuff (I'm in SkillsUSA at my school), I will try your method darkblue. I have a few broad basics, so I will create some kind of flow chart and work it out.

9. tman140 says:

"It sounds like a big task considering it is your first game" - darkbluemullet

Actually, it isn't my "first." I made some simple stuff (waves of enemies attacking), and a few apps for android. This will be my first game with an actual plot-line that will be publicly released. (also did some mods (now outdated) for Minecraft, but that's not a whole game is it)

No offense taken, just felt like pointing it out, as I didn't explain fully.

10. darkbluemullet says:

Ah, didn't mean to cause offense and glad none taken. I have never even attempted to make a game so my opinion is nothing more than that. I just assumed it was your first game, my bad. Do you have a website or anything or go under a different dev name?

11. tman140 says:

Uhh... dont have my own website (as soon as I get a job next year I might set one up,
    and sometimes I use herosolomon as a username (not for dev, just because tman is taken).

I really like the name BitFrost Design though. Might use that as like an official thing.

I really am loving your advice about "backwards writing" as I refer to it now. Jay, I also found your advice really helpful!

You must log in to post.