6 posts, 5 voices. Latest reply from SteveCastro.
  1. SteveCastro says:

I just got my Google+ account. Anyone else on there? In case you haven't heard, it's like Google's version of Facebook.

I like their concept of circles, where you can publish a post or a photo album to the whole world, or just your real life friends or family, or to a custom group of people. Facebook doesn't allow this, which is why I reserve my FB account for only close friends. However, it seems like Google+ might allow me to maintain my public profile as well as my private profile all on one account, which is really cool.

2. GREAT1 says:

for now im okay with facebook but i am seriously thinking about gettin' a google+ account the problem is none of my friends have or pretend to have a google account and steve you forget about the really awesome video chat

3. Earl says:

I'll be honest, I have zero interest in Google+.
    That's, what, their third attempt at social networking? And the previous lawsuits aren't making me feel crazy-confident about their current endeavour.

For the most part, I don't see the point. Those 'circles' sounds like a better idea in theory than in practice.
    I mean, if someone really isn't your friend, why would you want that connection with them at all? Unless it's for public figures, but they should really have a separate account for 'the public'.
    Just seems like it's more to appeal to people's vanity than to actually be useful.

More generally, only about half of what Google does is any good. This feels like the bad half.

4. darkbluemullet says:

Rubbish name. They should have came up with a name that doesn't mention Google. As for the video chat --> http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_18418804

It looks OK but I think it will take some time and more features before it can even think about being as popular as FB.

Are you going to create a CSG group on there Steve?

5. Darkroot says:

Not really interested in socialbullwackery but it does give me hope that facebook will end up being gutted by google and left to wither in the scorching light of the sun. But then again some of those people of facebook are... way below 2 standard deviations of a normal IQ or the normal IQ in my perspective is itself low. Especially some of those religious, bigoted or just plain dumb people. Maybe we can have all the "normal"/ "intelligent" people move to google+ and leave facebook for the unwashed masses? But that's only my dream in reality nothing like that would happen and that's why I stay away from that stuff.

6. SteveCastro says:

Eventually they'll be making Google+ for businesses and we'll be on there then.

I like using social sites as a way to communicate updates to our fans. I'd be pretty happy to just update them through our site, but some people visit Facebook more than this site so it's nice to reach out to more people that way.

Personally, I mainly use Facebook for seeing what my parkour buddies are up to. People share parkour vids, and spread the word about events on there. It's pretty useful for that. Sometimes it's nice to see how my family is doing too, since I don't live in the same city as them and only get to see them a few times a year.

You must log in to post.