About CSG / Flash is going by-by... what now? (for Jay and Steve)
6 posts, 3 voices. Latest reply from tman140.
  1. tman140 says:

Ok... so yes... Im alive (been taking time to learn java and C++), and was wondering... what are you guys gonna do with clickshake when flash becomes obsolete? I know that a lot of flash developers are learning HTML5 and C++, and was wondering if you guys have any experience with other software or are learning it or what? Umm... I think you get what im trying to say here... sooo.... yeah....

2. Earl says:

The one thing to remember about HTML5 (at least, from a games position) is that it's really only being pushed by people who want to see it adopted.
    There are relatively few cases of it being 'the platform of choice' for modern casual browser-based games.

Could this change? Absolutely, it could. But, if it does, it'll be driven by the desire to publish 'apps' with more convenient cross-platform support.

In any event, there's (currently) no reason to think that flash is dying. It's still the first choice for particularly content-rich interactive media. That fact, coupled with the advent of suites designed solely for porting flash code... well, I'm certainly interested in what Jay and Steve have to say on the subject, but if they have something else planned, I have to think it's more because of personal/professional interest than market forces.

(On a side note, I'm not sure how C++ got thrown in there. Compiled programs and client-side scripting aren't frequently given the same consideration for a given task. The only, admittedly significant, exception I can think of is for the aforementioned app development. But that's a sign of html5 taking marketshare from compiled languages like java; not of them both teaming up to detract from flash)

3. SteveCastro says:

Personally I don't feel any squeeze when it comes to Flash right now. Newgrounds and Kongregate and thousands of other portals and sponsors still use Flash and it's really hard to believe that's just going to drop off all of a sudden. There are new advancements for Flash developers still popping up like spaceport.io, which makes me think it's not just going to disappear too soon.

I'm not too worried about it because I know other languages like C++ and JavaScript, so we'll adapt when the time is right. However, we can still make games in Flash and package them as an EXE like we did for the Ballads executable if we wanted to. Also, there's a tool from Google that converts Flash vectors into vector XML useable in HTML5, so that's pretty neat.

I'm very curious to see how people are going to monetize HTML5 games.

4. tman140 says:

Yah, me and my friend (He develops some stuff on newgrounds) were talking about this so i wanted to see what you guys thought about it. I really don't even see how you can use HTML5 to make a game. Isn't that used for making webpages?

5. SteveCastro says:

This game was made in HTML5, and it even has multiplayer: http://browserquest.mozilla.org/

It's really a lot more than just HTML.

HTML5 looks like great technology, it's just hard to imagine everybody jumping on it since the code is completely open unless you require server side aspects. Since anyone can take the code and do what they want with it for disconnected games, it seems like it'd be a lot more difficult for developers to distribute their games as is and sell to sponsors. Why would someone pay money to get their logo put into the game when they can just edit it themselves? Tons of portals would just steal it and modify it to their liking.

I think HTML5 would be awesome if you could package it up like a Flash SWF and it was guaranteed to simply work consistently in every environment. I really need to read up on it more though, cuz I don't know everything that's possible with it.

The Unity plugin is cool, but a ton of people still don't have it right now compared to Flash, so if you're doing 2D art like we are it wouldn't make sense for us to move to that right now either.

6. tman140 says:

I stand corrected... you can make games... LOL!

You must log in to post.