Other Games / Favorite 2D side scrolling/platformer games
16 posts, 7 voices. Latest reply from Earl.
  1. SteveCastro says:

There's definitely some 3D, mostly third person games that I like playing, but my heart belongs to 2D games, especially platformers and side scrolling games. I just love seeing my character and seeing the whole world around me all at once. What are your favorite side scrollers?

My favs are Shadow Complex, Metroid, Mega Man, Super Mario World, Viewtiful Joe, Braid, Castle Crashers and Donkey Kong Country.

2. Earl says:

Mega Man was great, but I think the X series and spinoffs were just a bit better (in particular, the ones that let you play as Zero). Metroid was amazing, but what I liked even more were the Castlevania games that borrowed the free-world concept (Symphony of the Night and later titles).
    But if you like classic side-scrolly goodness, you can't leave out Bionic Commando!

Braid was somewhat interesting, but between the story and the ending(s)... eh... good concept, crap game (just personal opinion though).

The best modern side-scroller might be Muramasa: The Demon Blade. Wonderful artwork, slashy goodness, two character paths, and multiple endings. It has it all.:)

3. ZEROwes says:

Kirby and Mega Man for me as far as 2D goes, but Zelda will forever be my favorite game series ever... on a console anways. I havent played too many sidescrolling platformers recently

4. xXincognitoXx says:

I like Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country, and I also like the 2D fighting games like Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

5. Earl says:

Ooh. Then you should try Tatsunoko vs Capcom! (If you have a wii, that is)

6. Darkroot says:

Braid had a really interesting time manipulation concept going for it. But the best platformer I have played is most likely a flash game called N.

7. xXincognitoXx says:

Is it really a good game?!
    I do have a wii and was considering getting it but still haven't.

8. Earl says:

Well, I personally liked it a lot.
    For that matter, I liked the character selection. Tekkaman Blade and Zero? Both awesome.
    I'd suggest playing it with a classic controller (or a gamecube controller) though, as the 'standard' setup with the wiimote and nunchuck simplify things a bit too much for my taste. :)

Of course, your mileage may vary. (Just because I loved it, that doesn't mean you will)

9. xXincognitoXx says:

Sounds good. I will probobly rent it first though to see if fits my taste.

Also, I am the same way with gamecube controllers! The wii remote is cool, but I like the classic gamecube controller more.

10. SteveCastro says:

Yeah, I think the Mega Man X games were definitely an improvement. It's cool that they've released the retro-style MM 9 and 10 recently, but I'd like to see a new X game on XBLA. Braid is definitely a very different kind of platformer, more time spent thinking than moving and jumping, but I still found it incredibly beautiful and very inventive/fun.

@ZERO Zelda is still my favorite series too. I'm playing Darksiders right now which is supposed to be similar in some ways. It's pretty good so far but I still think Zelda is better. Just wish each game wasn't like reinventing the same story over (I'd rather the story progress chronologically from game to game).

11. ZEROwes says:

Darksiders huh? I'll look into it, and it would be sick if they made a Zelda series. Personally though i cant think of much they could do for a series...

12. Earl says:

The fact that your favourites are flash games illustrates something I think is very significant. (sorry if I get verbose. feel free to delete if it breaks the pacing of the thread)
    Back in the day (as in my day. C64, NES, that sort of thing), games had to have great gameplay. Because they sure as heck weren't going to compensate with stellar graphics! So much creativity went into turning little dots into something amazing. (That effort was matched only by the coding efficiency that had to go into programming for a device with less than 64 KILObytes of memory to work with)
    As hardware improved, developers got more ambitious. And, for a while, it was a good thing overall.

But now, just making things prettier is considered a legitimate substitute for good game design. I mean, frig, I still remember seeing a PS3 poster in a Gamestop that actually said, "better graphics=better game".

So I've often preferred platforms that forced people to stick with the 'old ways'. The Gameboy Advance, the Nintendo DS. Platforms with, at most, 66Mhz processors. And it was because of these limitations, that they were forced to stick with ideas that required substance over style. The Mega Man Zero games on the GBA were just as good as any classic 2D platformer. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (1 & 2)? Amazing! And the two GBA metroid games were works of art.

Flash games have touched on this same idea to some extent. Because it's an interpreted sandbox running on top of a plugin, running on the computer, there's no chance they'll have the same raw horsepower available to them as a native game. And yet, I'd argue that it's because of that limitation that some people have been able to create games that really shine.
    Case in point: I'd forgotten about it before you linked to it, darkbluemullet, but Fancy Pants. Though (incredibly) simplistic in artistic design, that game has incredibly tight controls, and very fun gameplay. N+ is similar in that regard.

So, what's my point, right? I suppose I just find it lamentable that so many games companies don't seem to realize that these games are popular, not despite their supposed lack of style, but because of their abundance of substance.
    Heck, look at the new Sam and Max games. The first game (many moons ago), was of the old DOTT style. Similar (at least conceptually) to the Zeebarf style. And yet, when Sam and Max were brought back, it was just assumed that they needed to be 3D-rendered. Half the humour. Half the style. But 'more advanced' graphics. Yup. Reeeally impressive.

And that's why I'll stick to flash games. and downloadable games. and handheld games. and the occasional retro game. And, of course, Zeebarf (erm. Clickshake) games. Because I want something that'd be entertaining even if I had to play it on an old EGA screen.
    (erm... like I said, feel free to delete if I got too wordy and rambly)

13. tman140 says:

metroid is my favorite. n+, fancy pants and paradox embrace as well

---
    Edit:
    how could i forget Yoshi's island?

14. SteveCastro says:

Earl: Wow, Muramasa looks amazing! I can't believe I missed that the first time I read your post. I just looked into it and man does it look good. :) I'm thinking about picking it up.

15. Earl says:

*ahem*
    Even a year later, I still love Muramasa. :)

You must log in to post.