Ideas & Suggestions / Creating Games (and questions about it)
14 posts, 5 voices. Latest reply from Darkroot.
Tags: No tags yet.
  1. tman140 says:

Ok... so a lot of people on the internet have asked one big(not really) question. How do I start making a mod/game? What are the requirements to develop something? Do I have to know a code language, and which one. Now I don't know everything about this, but I am starting to develop minecraft (a sandbox game that you probably have heard of) mods, and would love to help others get started in this amazing process of creating something for the world. I am learning Java, a complex language that has been used to make many a game (runescape is a big one) and is also used heavily by Google. Now you are free to ask me questions about this, as I am the one who created this forum... but first, I have a question for you. I want a "company" name for what I do. It's not all mods (I have a very simple game in the works), and I may be (eventually) doing stuff for the ipod/iphone. I would love to hear any names you have. Jay and Steve, any names you threw out i would LOVE to hear.

Thanks,
    Tman140
    (formal ending FTW!)

2. spookspoon says:

Although it's not exactly what you requested, how about MMOM, Many Mods Of Minecraft (first thing that came to me)

I was wondering, is java a bunch of codes or is it easier to program like Game Maker? What are the possibilities with java?

3. tman140 says:

I haven't ever used game maker, but I can answer your other questions. java is lines of code compiled into classes to make them easier to find. Almost anything can be done with java, as long as you take enough time to learn how to use it. right now I am working on a "Grenade Mod," and have been able to do everything from sounds, to making it bounce, to exploding or cover a certain area with fire or ice.

4. tman140 says:

I looked at gamemaker on the YoYo Games page, and saw that it is around a hundred dollars. Java Coding (besides mabey learning, i got a book for like 15 dollars...) Is totally free.

5. spookspoon says:

well, actually, the lite version of game maker is free, the comeplete isn't. Book about how to use java? whats it called?

6. Earl says:

"...lines of code compiled into classes to make them easier to find"

You just killed a little part of my soul. :(

7. tman140 says:

XD... I know Earl... I realized what I did there... I posted that late last night when i was really tired from school projects... Sorry you have no soul... I will repost it with what i should have said... XD

8. tman140 says:

I haven't ever used game maker, but I can answer your other questions. java is lines of code compiled into classes. A class is a specification (think of it as a set of instructions) of how to java needs to display something, and tells how the object runs and moves, or what text to display and whatnot. The code in the classes are like the Individual steps. Almost anything can be done with java, as long as you take enough time to learn how to use it. right now I am working on a "Grenade Mod," and have been able to do everything from sounds, to making it bounce, to exploding or cover a certain area with fire or ice.

9. tman140 says:

That better Earl?
    So sorry your a zombie or vampire or... a ginger or something...

10. SteveCastro says:

Earl, why did your soul die? I don't get it. What was wrong with what he said?

11. Earl says:

A class represents a concept, the framework for an object.
    Pragmatically, it contains definitions of all of the instance variables ('responsibility for knowing') and methods ('responsibility for doing') that an instance of that class (an 'object') should have.

Conceptually, it represents the concept of an actor, or (formally) a 'dealie'. And it allows us to know all of the state information specific to each instance of that dealie, as well as what work we can request of said dealie.

It's the foundation of Object Orientation in Java.

The description above was, at best, an entirely procedural explanation, leaving no practical difference between a class in Java and a source file in C.
    It's what allows us, when using Java, to employ such techniques as parametric polymorphism, subtype polymorphism, interfaces, as well as UML and O-O design patterns.
    ---
    More directly, a little piece of my soul died because I teach this stuff for a living (including quite a bit of Java), and it was analogous to explaining that a torque wrench is what you use to pry off hubcaps when standing next to a mechanic. :)

Didn't mean it as an insult or anything, tman. :)

12. tman140 says:

Thats so much better than i could come up with earl... then again... I am just learning it still... anyways, could I get some name ideas for this "company?"

13. Darkroot says:

and it was analogous to explaining that a torque wrench is what you use to pry off hubcaps when standing next to a mechanic. :)

That is a pretty accurate analogy of what tman140 said.

MMmm abstract data structures in java fun.

You must log in to post.